Board of Education Policy - Student Code of Conduct
Listed to the right is the Student Code of Conduct policy and three Board polices that are are appendices to the Code of Conduct.
These documents are in pdf format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
Please click on the link to use the search feature to locate other policies: Westhill Central School Policy Portal
Westhill Central School District Attendance Policy
The Board of Education recognizes that regular school attendance is a critical factor in student success. School attendance is both a right and responsibility of all students. The Westhill Central School District is an active partner with parents and students in the task of ensuring that all students meet or exceed the New York State Learning Standards. Because the school district recognizes that consistent school attendance and academic success have a positive correlation, a comprehensive attendance policy has been developed in compliance with the Commissioner's regulations relating to school attendance. Copies of the district's policy is available to interested person's at individual school offices.
Legal excuses for absence or tardiness recognized under the Education Law include:
-Illness or death in family, medical appointments
-Impassable roads or weather making travel unsafe
-Approved school-supervised trips, music lessons, CSE meetings, test
modifications that extend time
-Court appointment and/or legal circumstances
Absences or tardiness for any other reason is considered unexcused and is entered on the student’s permanent attendance record. Each student who has been absent MUST bring a written excuse from home on the day of his/her return to school.
Tardiness cannot be excused except for the reasons cited above. Please also see attendance rules listed in the various student handbooks.
Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
The Westhill Central School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, the District wishes to inform the school community of the following:
1) A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
2) Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record.
3) State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4) A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at:
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx, or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
5) Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234. Complaints may also be directed to the Chief Privacy Officer via email at: CPO@mail.nysed.gov.
The Westhill Central School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions; and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Steven Smith, Equal Opportunity Officer, 400 Walberta Road, Syracuse, NY 13219, (315) 426-3210 . Inquiries concerning the application of the Westhill Central School District non-discrimination policies may also be referred to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), 32 Old Slip, 26th Floor, New York, NY 10005, telephone (646) 428-3800 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (TTY).